Re: [Healeys] bonnet adjustment

To: "Austin Healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] bonnet adjustment
From: "bluechip" <bluechipracing@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 21:45:01 -0400
Here's how I do it:   With a blanket across the front of the bonnet
aperture, attach the bonnet to the hinges with the proper hardware with the
nuts on the outside, just barely finger tight.  Attach a small vice-grip
pliers to one of the bolt heads on each side (or other suitable means to
keep the bolts from turning....another way is a homemade locking tab under
both bolt heads on each side).  Carefully close the bonnet, pulling the
blanket out when its almost closed.  Since the hinge bolts are loose, you
can now position the bonnet to the proper position fore and aft, and up and
down.  I use wood shims to urge it into position and keep it in position.
Now with the front wheels off, you can reach the nuts with a 1/4" drive
7/16" (or proper size Whitworth) socket on a looooong extension ....need at
least two. A wobble nose extension works best, but I have used standard
ones. You'll need a flashlight, and it takes a little patience.   The socket
on a standard extension will approach the nuts at an angle, so you won't get
them real tight, but tight enough that they will stay in place whilst you
carefully re-open the bonnet (put the blanket back in place just in case).
Then tighten them the rest of the way.

Sure beats the seven iteration trial and error method.

Jim Smith