Re: [Healeys] Smog Controls

To: healeybruce@roadrunner.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Smog Controls
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 17:06:48 EDT
In a message dated 9/4/07 9:31:53 AM, healeybruce@roadrunner.com writes:

> Gary, thanks for publicly setting the record straight.  I totally agree
> with
> your comments about the "easy targets

Thanks for the note -- though we should probably still keep a weather eye out
for potential issues affecting true vintage hobby cars, the program certainly
seems harmless at the least, and positive at best. Perhaps the best thing to
come out of it will be some data to challenge or support the contributions
that older and unmaintained vehicles make to mobile and overall smog
problems.

However, what I'd personally like to see from the old car hobby is a move
away from these defensive "oppose new controls" strategies and towards a
positive
campaign to get classic cars used for hobby purposes exempt from smog
controls entirely. I would argue for regulations based on usage and
qualification
rather than simply on age. For example, offer total smog exemption to any car
licensed under the classic car tag limitations, which as I understand them
require the car be driven no more than 2500 miles a year and that the mileage
be
checked when the tag is renewed. Though I realize there are some among us who
routinely drive their cars greater distances each year, I believe these cars
are
in a distinct minority among hobby cars and could be handled through some form
of application for exemption.

Then, let's all continue to lobby our legislators to crack down on pollution
from agriculture in general and from sport utes and trucks within mobile
sources of pollution.

Cheers
Gary