[Healeys] Targa Newfoundland ("NF") update--Axle stretching

To: healeys@autox.team.net, caahc@yahoogroups.com, Orbittor@aol.com,
Subject: [Healeys] Targa Newfoundland ("NF") update--Axle stretching
From: awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:32:45 -0400
Apparently the elves were able to successfully apply weight and heat to the
correct places on the axle housing last night as when everything went together
this morning?the faces mated perfectly.? HOWEVER (there is always a forever
isn't there?) the new axle was just a bit too short by about 1/2" to engage the
inner gears of the limited-slip differential.? So this morning we took the axle
over to the City of Gander's?machine shop?where they pressed the axle 1/2" out
of the hub to make it longer and rewelded?it good as new.?Axle stretching?can
be done!? The differential is?quieter than it was when we started out and the
knibbling pin also seems to be in good shape so no worries there.?

We got on the road around 10:30 this morning and are now in Clarenville about
to sit down to a nice warm lunch after a cold and wet ride down--a perfect day
for motoring in a Healey.? We plan to rejoin the competition tomorrow.

L'Shana Tova--Michael Oritt