[Healeys] State Smog Laws

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] State Smog Laws
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:16:04 EDT
I've been asked to do my column in the next issue of Sports Car Market
Magazine on factors affecting the value of British cars, so would appreciate
your
far-flung knowledge on the issue of smog controls. As I understand it, some
states have a cut-off year for exemptions, some exempt all cars registered as
classic or antique cars, and others have a rolling horizon. I'd like to do a
survey of what laws are currently in effect in as many states as possible?

An example of an answer is:

"In California, in order to register or renew, all cars built after 1975 must
be smog-tested against the equipment and emissions standards that applied in
the year they were manufactured. All cars built in 1975 and before are exempt
from smog controls; this cut-off date is fixed and is not a rolling
limitation."

You can respond to me directly, or post your answer on the list if you think
others would be interested.

Thanks
Gary Anderson