Re: [Healeys] Overdrive problem

To: <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive problem
From: "bluechip" <bluechipracing@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 13:57:09 -0400
Steve:  I once had the same problem.  Occasionally it would stay in
overdrive.  Banging on the OD with a knock-off hammer usually freed it up.
You can bang the overdrive easily from underneath.  Jack up the rear so that
one wheel is off the ground.  With the gearbox in neutral, try to turn the
wheel backwards as you bang the OD,  It won't turn until the OD is released.
This way you will know when it does release. Doing this once or twice isn't
a problem, but it soon becomes a real nuisance if it persists.
My solution was a new cone clutch. Big job, so exhaust the other options
first.

Jim Smith