[Healeys] a different overdrive problem

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] a different overdrive problem
From: "George Haywood" <haywoodone@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:18:06 -0400
Hi everyone,

My O.D. problem is just the opposite of Steve's.  All of my electrics work
great also but my O.D. will not engage.  I here, feel, and see the solenoid
retract and move the lever on the right side of the unit to where a 3/16"
rod slides through the holes in the lever and the housing.  I can see the
ball move when I activate the solenoid at rest (engine off).  This is a
freshly rebuilt tranny/OD.  Is there something I can check and maybe
diagnose the possible problem with the O. D. in the car?  The manual says to
jack up the rear wheels and run the engine, then with the plug off and the
ball, rod, and spring out check to see if there is oil pumped into that
chamber when the O.D. is engaged.  Sounds to me that would cause oil to
squirt all over everywhere.  Is that true or is the pressure low enough to
perform that inspection?  I'm open to all suggestions before pulling and
returning this thing to the rebuilder.

Thanks,

George Haywood
'65 bj8