Re: [Healeys] Cam bearings

To: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Cam bearings
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:15:46 -0400
Ron,
Changing cam bearings is definitely a machine shop job as it does require a
special tool.  If you had the block cleaned the cleaning process normally
ruins the cam bearings so I always install new ones on my rebuilds.  Make
sure you have a competent machine shop do the work.

I had my Spitfire block worked on many years ago and when I picked up the
block the timing gear dimple was broken and the cam wouldn't fit into the
block.  Some bozo had gotten the bearings cocked, tried to smooth them down
with steel wool  (said they always did it that way), then tried to drive the
cam in by hammering it with the gear.  After checking the block I found they
had also misaligned the holes in the bearings with the oil holes in the
block and had blocked all of the oil journals.

Not sure about your particular engine, but some engines require a line bore
after installing the bearings.  The bearings are oversized and are bored to
match the cam.  Pretty sure the MGB doesn't have that requirement though.
Pete