[Healeys] overdrive oil pump question

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] overdrive oil pump question
From: "George Haywood" <haywoodone@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 19:00:56 -0400
Hi all,
What could be the problem when the pump body of the OD on a bj8 will not
come out of the unit after the non return valve assembly has been removed?
The pump shaft goes up and down when manually operated but the body will not
come out even with a lot of force on a puller attached to the threads on the
pump body.  I am afraid of destroying something if more force is used.  Is
there a need to remove this if there is spring action on the plunger shaft
as indicated?  It appears that I don't have any oil pressure to operate the
OD.  The operating valve appears to be moving normally when the solenoid is
activated.  Sunday my rebuilder will be coming over and I want to have some
suggestions for him from you all.  The OD is still in the car and we will go
through all the suggested checks then if nothing can be found we will tear
the bugger out.

When he rebuilt the OD he could not get the pump body out of the casing but
the action seemed OK to him so he rebiult everything else and assembled the
unit.  He said the pump usually never fails.

PLease give me a direction to proceed if you can.

Thanks,

George
'65 bj8