[Healeys] Choke return springs

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Choke return springs
From: Daniel and Diane White <dwhite4949@wowway.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 19:52:59 -0400
Here is a follow up on the choke problem(s) with the tri-carb.  First
problem- couldn't get enough travel when pulling out the choke knob to
pull down the jet tubes although fast idle cam would operate to increase
rpm's.  Second problem- drag/friction wouldn't allow jet tubes to return
to "non-choke" position.  First problem solved by undoing the trunion on
the fast idle cam, then moving the cam to the point where jet tube just
starts to pull down, then pull the choke cable taught to eliminate any
slack, then tighten the trunion.  Do this for all three.  Now when the
choke knob is pulled out about an inch the jet tubes pull down and do
their job.  I'll have to set the individual fast idles to 1,000 rpm's
tomorrow.  Second problem no longer exists so I have no need to install
additional springs to help the jet tubes return to the non-choke
position, although I will take the suggestions to go to a
bicycle/motorcycle shop and replace the cables with teflon ones as my
choke cables look pretty tired.  I manually worked the jet tubes via the
cam and they return just fine which I think is a real testament to the
SU carbs considering the age and over 100,000 miles.  A note to Jim
Shope...I can furnish pictures of the cam set-up if you would like them.
Regards,
Dan White
1962 BN7 Mk II