Re: [Healeys] Colors A-H

To: "Healey forum" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Colors A-H
From: RThrift <rthrift@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:10:53 -0800
My original msg was too big for the list so I'll split it in half
see my preceding post.
some refs to Don Pikovnik:
http://www.coloramic.com/articles/ahcgtext.htm
http://www.coloramic.com/articles/hlyclrs.htm

There is a thought that the colors were altered somewhat as Healey
manufacturing progressed. Also: I am pretty sure my BT7's original
ivory exterior looks different from when it was new 47 years ago.

Others may have more practical info.  For instance, Dallas Congleton
suggests "My opinion is that the paints have evolved so much, the
original formula codes are really of little use."

R Wilhelmey wrote in 2001 "I can also tell you that various Truck
"white"s of the 1980s and '90s are a good match for Old English
White. There's a Honda white that is good, too.  I can also give you
the reflectance spectrum for the paints from the "Guide".  One word
of warning on Old English White:  The color chip, actually two chips
in the book appear to be 'off' to me and to others, so you might want
to check with Don to see what he has come up with since
publication.  I know he was working on it last year."

B Kitterer replied in 2001 "Mr. Pikovnik has sent out a letter
acknowledging that there is a question concerning OEW (WT.3) and also
Primrose (YL.3) in his book, a discrepancy noted by Roger
Moment.  The ICI codes listed by Mr. Pikovnik match those on file at
ICI-UK but he has not had a documented original car in these colors
to do color matches.  Also I have found at least one other color in
his book that the chip does not match a car.  BUT IT IS VERY HARD to
make printed color chips that are perfect color matches to paint
chips, they are two different medias.  Anyway here are some other
vender & paint codes from a differerent and older listing for
OEW.  These are cross references for OEW (WT.3), ICI
2379;  Rinshed-Mason #6642;  Dupont 8207L and Ditzler 8177.  I
believe that Ditzler has been purchased by PPG so it should be easy
to cross reference into the PPG codes.  Also, PPG has a guide and
paint chip book for vintage cars or vintage European cars (do not
remember which) if you can find a dealer that has this book.  We
found that the paint formula in this book was off only by two drops
of paint from the formula arrived at by an on car spectragraphic
analysis of our car color."

Richard