Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Registry status

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Registry status
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 05:03:00 -0800
Good question, Greg.  I wondered if someone would ask that.

"Registry" implies that there is an owner's name associated with each car.
That was true in the beginning, but since it isn't the case now "BJ8
Database" might be a better name for it.  There are 948 cars in the registry
for which the current location (or in some cases the actual existence) is
unknown, and 1636 cars for which no current owner is known although there
might be some former owners recorded.  The two categories do not add, but
overlap.  Some of the unidentified owners are because, although I have
obtained lists of cars by VIN registered with clubs around the world, for
some clubs privacy laws or concerns will not allow the registrar to share
names and contact info of the owners.  Others are cars found on eBay, for
instance, where the car obviously exists, but there is no owner identified.
Information for statistical purposes is still available, though, such as
colors, configuration, etc., and in some cases the body and engine numbers
are given.

Why document cars that may not exist?  Well, the goal of the registry is to
be a service and benefit to the BJ8 community.  If someone reports they have
a spare engine sitting in their garage.  I can find out via a friend in
England which car that engine was original to.  It's possible that the
registry knows where that original car is, and the owner might like to get
his original engine back.  It has happened, more than once.  Or, the orphan
engine might identify a car that no longer exists due to donating its parts.
If I have any information at all on a particular car that I can identify by
number, I record it as a "placeholder" because any information at all could
be useful or helpful to someone in the future.

Cheers!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry