[Healeys] Misfire

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Misfire
From: "Peter Linn" <greylinn@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 20:57:32 +1000
G'day list - hope someone might be able to help me diagnose this:
occasionally, and with no particular pattern, the Ward Special's BN1 motor
misfires. I can be cruising on a light thottle at, say, 2000 rpm in top, and
without warning the car misfires and loses power. This happened again a couple
of times today on an 80 mile round trip to the AHOC Qld Christmas lunch. All
dash indicators show normal. I've found that if I dip the clutch & rev the
motor, it will  clear, often with a backfire and (I'm told by people
following) a puff of black smoke. I suspect a fuel issue of some sort - I have
a Facet fuel pump which appears to be functioning OK; there are 2 filters in
the line, both of which I've changed; I've checked the float chambers and
they're clean. The carbs have been overhauled in the last few years and I'm
pretty handy at setting them up after 40 years with SU's. THe only minor
indication of anything inconsistent is that no. 2 plug looks a bit darker than
the other 3.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Peter Linn