[Healeys] Coming Fuel Efficency Standards

To: Austin Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>, Anna Orr
Subject: [Healeys] Coming Fuel Efficency Standards
From: "J. Scott Morris" <jstmorris@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 20:13:39 -0500 (EST)
Economist a British magazine, recently had an article the heightened fuel
efficiency focus in the U.S.A.  [see
http://www.economist.com/daily/news/PrinterFriendly.cfm?story_id=10249454 ]
  An energy bill is set to pass through the House of Representatives this week.
In part, the article reads: The new corporate average fuel economy (CAFE)
standards have been a long time coming. The 35mpg target for average fuel
efficiency across the range of a car companys vehicles in 2020 would be the
first lifting of CAFE standards for cars since 1985. The current standard for
corporate average fuel economy of 27.5mpg for cars was introduced that year.
The standard for light trucks has been slowly lifted over the years and now
stands at 22.2mpg. Since 1985 the fuel economy of cars and trucks has barely
shifted.
  The day may be coming when there will be enormous pressure on the old car
enthusiast / industry to curtail usage and/or pay a sizable amount for the
privilege of enjoying ones hobby.  A CAFE of 35 mpg(US) is about 42 mpg(Imp) or
14.9 Km/Litre. By way of comparison, my 2001 Honda Civic averages 15.8 k/l and
my 1962 Austin Healey averages 22 mpg(Imp) or 7.8 k/l .
  --Scott Morris; Simcoe, Ontario, Canada; 60 MkI BN7-project; 62 MkII
BT7-driver

J. Scott Morris - Keep Smiling, Murphy Lives