Re: [Healeys] 100 Engine Help

To: healey.nut@gmail.com, Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 Engine Help
From: "WILLIAM B LAWRENCE" <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 02:50:07 +0000
>From my readings on the topic while researching valve guide seals, bronze
guides can be a problem in cast iron heads because of the difference in
thermal expansion rates. The head expanding and contracting eventually
crushes the guide and traps the valve stem. (Or so they say.) any of the
usual suspects will be able to provide guides and any competent machine shop
should be able to install them. While I was at it I installed newer pattern
valve guide seals too.

The main bearing caps have a threaded hole in them (If I remember they are
the same pattern as the cap bolts. so you can thread a bolt into the cap and
use it for leverage to pull the cap out. maybe you could adapt a slide
hammer to it. Bearings are also pretty commonly available in the most common
undersizes.

Good luck.

Bill Lawrence
BN1 # 554