Re: [Healeys] Appraisals

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Appraisals
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:21:52 EST
In a message dated 1/10/08 1:51:43 PM, dcongleton@embarqmail.com writes:

> http://www.accuratevalue.com/classic_insurance.html
>
> I am not a representative of this company, not do I have my coverage with
> them ( I use Grundy; Hagerty also has agreed coverage).  The information
> here is generic to all companies. It is prudent not to assume anything from
> the general meaning of wordage (even if your are an "editor"  :>)  when you
> are dealing with insurance companies.

I checked that website, since I are an editer.

I saw something on it that, as a professional appraiser, I am very concerned
about.

How Do I Set My Agreed Value?
 Get a professional appraisal.
 The purpose of an Agreed Value is to match the actual market value of the
auto as closely as possible. It is not meant to cover any extra intrinsic
value
you may place on the car for personal reasons. We have a pretty good idea as
to the appropriate value of most autos, given their mileage, condition,
history, custom modifications etc.
 Just fill out the order form, send them in with the pictures and payment. We
will send you a written appraisal that you can give to your insurance
company.

No reputable appraiser would EVER agree to give you an appraisal on the basis
of a written description and photographs. In fact, it is counter to the
professional practices of the American Society of Appraisers, the only
government-recognized appraisal group in the U.S.
A valid appraisal can only be done on the basis of a personal inspection of
the property being appraised. I would question whether a mail-order appraisal
would hold up in a legal dispute over value.

Once again, I'm not a lawyer, nor an insurance agent, so don't rely on this
advice without checking it with your own insurance company or lawyer.

Gary