Re: [Healeys] Add overdrive

To: "Mark and Kathy" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>, "Alan Seigrist"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Add overdrive
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:53:27 -0500
Mitch,

If you go for a used overdrive gearbox assembly, you have the definite
advantage of having your own known good gearbox. All the internal gears are
the same. If you had to, you could use your good parts, do new bearings,
synchros and seals and the longer o/d input shaft from the o/d box you find,
and you'd be all set without doing the unthinkable of deviating away from a
proper Healey gearbox.

Rich Chrysler

>> Mitch -
>>
>> You are best to just get a complete used gearbox O/D unit and put that
>> in.
>> There are alot of them around and they aren't that expensive at the end
>> of
>> the day.
>>
>> The gearbox mainshafts on OD / non-OD models are different lengths, which
>> means to put on the OD you have to find an OD mainshaft to begin with
>> then
>> you have to rip apart and rebuild the whole gearbox to put it in even
>> before
>> you put on the OD unit itself...
>>
>> Alan
>>
>> On Jan 13, 2008 7:12 PM, <caddi5@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Gentlemen,
>>> I have a 1959 BN4 (non-over drive) and would like to install an
>>> overdrive
>>> unit. What exactly do I need to perform this task? thanks! Pics. would
>>> be
>>> great...
>>> MITCH