Re: [Healeys] heater control valve

To: T W <ah3000me@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] heater control valve
From: John Loftus <loftusdesign@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:07:45 -0800
Hi Tom,

The heater valve on the engine block has a tapered fit on the part that
rotates. On the opposite side from the handle there is a
spring/washer/cotter pin that holds the tapered core against the tapered
bore of the valve body. If you take a small hammer and tap on the end of
the spring/washer/cotter pin side you should be able to 'unseat' the
core piece. You will feel and see it move due to the spring moving when
you tap on it. Then you can safely move the valve handle. If it won't
move by tapping, unbolt the valve from the block, and disassemble the
valve by removing the cotter pin/spring etc. Clean up the tapered
surfaces (may need some lapping compound) and use some anti-seize lube
on the tapered surfaces.

Also, a gentle reminder that Mark, the list owner requested recently
that we remove the bulk of the original message when replying. I think
in the same spirit that people should not have long signature files of
several paragraphs. Thank you.

Cheers,
John