Re: [Healeys] Testing a battery, non Healey

To: richard.ewald@gmail.com, simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Testing a battery, non Healey
From: Jwhlyadv@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:19:25 EST
Since it is a 944 are you are getting full heat at times that you don't  want
full heat?

I missed a lot of this thread so I don't know if this has been covered  yet.
The Heater Control Valve does go bad quite often. You can check it with a
Mity Vac, a hand operated vacuum pump, while the valve is in place. It is
located behind the engine on the 944 and is one of the worst jobs to replace
that
you will ever encounter so don't just jump into replacing it. When German  cars
fail they are set to default to the full heat mode.

If it checks out OK and you are getting full  heat at times that you don't
want full heat it is most likely a  plastic  clip at the end of the rod that
operates the Heater door inside the car.  Basically you have a door to the
heater
box that is opened by a small motor that  is connected to a rod that is
connected to the door. When the system calls for  heat the motor kicks in and
opens
the door slightly. The connecting clip often  breaks and allows the door to
fully open instead of only partially. The 944 has  a climate control setting
where you set the temperature you want so even if  you are in Air Conditioner
mode the heat will come on if the car gets too  cold.

The motor is located under the dash between the steering  column and the
center line of the car on my left hand drive 1988  944 (If I were going to do
this
again I would remove the drivers  seat.)

 In a very quiet garage and with the key on ( battery  charged) turn the
switch for the temperature setting back and forth with your  head under the
dashboard. You will hear the motor operate. As I recall I had to  remove some
ducting and trim panels in order to reach the motor.

I requires two or three clips at $1 each so replace them all  while you are
there.

Jim Werner

> While I'm pushing my luck on the non Healey front, anyone ever  have any
> luck
> with the heater control valves in Porsche 944S2s?  It appears to be
> electrically triggered but vacuum powered. I gather  they go wrong quite
> frequently.
>
> Simon
>
> You are  subscribed as richard.ewald@gmail.com
>
>  http://www.team.net/archive