[Healeys] FW: Dip/Strip/Sandblast AH Chassis

To: "john spaur" <jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] FW: Dip/Strip/Sandblast AH Chassis
From: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:00:18 -0600
Hi All, this is just FYI as a follow up to some list Dip/Strip chassis
chat a couple of weeks ago.  I have no other reason for posting this
except FYI.

 It just brought out a couple of points that I found interesting.

Jack

________________________________

From: Martin Jansen [mailto:jule_enterprisesah@yahoo.com]

John, I do not suggest you chemically strip a chassis because the
chemical stripping does not dissolve the rusted metal. It just dissolves
the rusty top coating. It will remove undercoating. It may not remove
body fill or plastics. There is no neutralizing process available that
will guarantee the seeping of acids from the inside rails. Any scaly
rust inside the chassis rails will be saturated with the acids used in
the dipping process. Any panels mating to other panels in layered form
will also retain the aggressive chemical. These areas will never be
neutralized. This will seep for years and cause consistent paint
problems for the chassis and panels welded to it.  This can be a
nightmare for painting and the cost of each paint job is substantial.
Certainly this needs to be considered.  Also during welding repairs,
toxic gases from the chemicals will be present and could cause
respiratory problems.

I would recommend media blasting (sand). This is a chemical free and
aggressive stripping method of metal surfaces. Sandblasting will blow
through any areas that are weak unlike chemical stripping which won't.
The intent of removing old finishes and rust is to expose the true
condition of the chassis. Chemical stripping will not reveal this.

We have been doing Austin Healeys for 25 years and only use the media
blast method.

If you would like more information about our company and product may I
suggest you look at our web site www.jule-enterprises.com
<http://www.jule-enterprises.com>  or call me directly at 905-854-3555.
We offer technical support on all aspects of Austin Healeys.

Martin Jansen

The Frameman