Re: [Healeys] Ethanol and Vintage Cars

To: "Healey Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Ethanol and Vintage Cars
From: "Leonard Hartnett" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:41:19 -0800
Mike:  Technically, I can not answer that question.  I would consider Ken
Freese's response to be reasonable based upon his experience.  Although the
aluminum tank would avoid the problem of rust, I could still foresee a
problem with ethanol-water separation if the vehicle sat unused, especially
in a cold climate, over a long period of time.  I don't have any idea how
long it would take for the separated ethanol-water, plus condensation, to
accumulate enough to come up to the fuel take-up in the tank.

The other concern, per Tom Felts, is what can happen to the rubber in the
carb.  He mentions the "blue" colored rubber pieces that are allegedly
compatible with the mix.  This was discussed many moons ago on The List
when, I think, MTBE was 'popular' but was destroying rubber components
(and making people sick).