Re: [Healeys] British Number Plate

To: "'Wm. Severin Thompson'" <wsthompson@thicko.com>, "'John Harper'"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] British Number Plate
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 15:06:33 -0000
What John says is true. Legislation is making it all very difficult.
There are loopholes however and the diligent can slide through. If you order
a so-called "show plates", some of these manufacturers/assemblers/whatever
will sell you pretty well whatever you want.
For example:-
I had to take the bumpers off my BT7 to make it shorter to make space for
wife's 944 to winter in the garage, one bay of which is short since we put a
WC in at one end.
I had to buy stick on numbers. Couldn't buy them from local shops, even with
every document I owned.
I fooled around on the net and came up with various people who could do
pretty well anything plate wise, PROVIDED one ticked the appropriate box and
gave them a weasel way out.
http://www.aplates.com/aplatesshop/default.asp
http://www.craigsplates.com/
http://www.tradeplates.com/
http://www.winsigns.co.uk/

I don't recall where the original enquiry came from. I'd guess it wasn't
from here, UK! I'd think that most of these people would be even more
cooperative if they knew that the plates were a) for export and b) staying
abroad.
I've got to go out now, but I used whichever one of the above is located in
or near Bristol. Very quick and easy to deal with and probably, knowing me,
competitive price wise.
Be very specific as to what you want. Our modern plates would look fairly
awful on a Healey.

Simon