Re: [Healeys] steering box rebuild

To: "'Ray Juncal'" <healeyray@yahoo.com>, "'List Healey'"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] steering box rebuild
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 17:14:10 +1300
--===============1358736311==

Hi Ray,
I think that you will find that the worm is actually internally splined
and is secured to the steering shaft by the shaft having been swaged at
the lower end.
I have not had much luck trying to use worms with pitted bearing faces,
the box feels very rough. If you contact some of the Australian
restorers you may have some luck finding LHD worms because they are
usually replaced when cars are converted to RHD.

Michael Salter
In New Zealand to get away from the Canadian winter.