Re: [Healeys] Engine oil

To: JOEA@WGEGROUP.COM
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Engine oil
From: sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:53:40 +1100
When considering engine oil requirements one must first consider the condition
of the engine.New with ALL clearances to spec. 90% of clearances checked and
within tolerence is not good enough to select the new engine therefore new spec
oil.I make the following comments for information and consideration only.Ehgine
no.1 on the morning of my weddding I had great difficulty in starting the BN4
eng. with gallery head but fitted with 1.75 SU carbs less choke operating and
finally adjusted. Car started,coughed and splutted and cleared itself and
revved past 6000rpm( thats the figure I saw on it's way down when I finally
reached the off switch. Still I took the Healey on the honeymoon and with
ordinary 30-40 oil it was 15psi cold in the morning and sank to 12-12 psi hot.
Car lasted 2000plus miles from Dec. to April and was used every day.Engine no.2
was race built in UK and delivered in car with Castrol R. beautiful stuff to
inhale.Extensive inquiries with oil company chemists resulted in the
advice,drain the castor oil (vegetable based) R and flush several times with
ordinary mineral oil and then fill with good quality premium grade oil. The
base oil does the lubrication,cooling and flushing away of 'contaminates' all
the other additives are to satisfy manufactures demands for extended oil change
periods,pollution absorbtion etc. Best advice given was for 'our' style of car,
CHANGE IT MORE OFTEN.
jOE