[Healeys] Frustrated - coolant leak at drain tap

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Frustrated - coolant leak at drain tap
From: Linwood Rose <linwoodrose@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:00:36 -0500
As many of you know, I just about have my restoration complete.
However, I encountered a problem this week that I have yet to solve.
The water drain tap (not the heater valve) begins to leak when I get
to about 165 degrees. Slow drip at first and then more rapid. Coolant
all over the garage floor!

I was using the original drain tap, so I ordered a new one to try. It
leaks also!!!!

Have others of you encountered this? What suggestions do you have for
fixing this. I can take it out and give the end a whack with a punch
to try to "set" it in the valve. It is not easy to get to as it is
behind the exhaust headers, heat shield and carbs. I did find that I
can approach it from the front of the car.

I need help!!!

Lin
1960 BT7 in restoration
1959 Bugeye