Re: [Healeys] Driving to San Diego from points north

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Driving to San Diego from points north
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 08:02:11 -0800
Regarding I-215 to San Diego--I think this is the best way to go, regardless
of whether it's hot or not. Here's why:

I live in Altadena, 3 miles north of the I-210 and drive to San Diego
several times a year.

If you're coming down I-5 from Bakersfield, take I-210 east toward Pasadena.
210 joins the 134 in Pasadena and one of the main congestion points is from
that juncture east to the 605. Optimimum time to go thru Pasadena eastbound
is before 2pm. Before 1pm is better. If you can do that you can surf ahead
of traffic to the 57 to the Corona Expressway 71 to the 91 in Corona where
you'll go east a couple of miles and pick up I-15 south toward San Diego.
Here's the other bottleneck--a couple miles of slow & go in Corona as
everyone decides which mall exit to take. From there, it's an easy scenic
drive where the traffic moves _very_ fast. People are doing 90 in the
Temecula to Escondido area.

This route is longer than the others mentioned but is more scenic and takes
less time.

If you find yourselves in Corona at lunch time, be sure to stop at Tudy's
Tacos on the main drag. Cheap excellent home-cooked Mexican food.

Taking Highway 1 all the way thru LA is not really an option unless you want
to spend all day on 100 miles of city streets. It's more of a bicycle route.

I-5 and I-405 have a lot more continuous commuter traffic than the route
described above.

Using the above route I made it to the San Diego All British Car Day, 106
miles, in 90 minutes flat. --at 11AM on a Sunday morning. Weekends are best
for getting through LA.
--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA