[Healeys] 5 speed conversion

To: healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] 5 speed conversion
From: Charlie Baldwin <mgcharlie@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:24:19 -0500
Recently I purchased the 5 speed conversion kit from Pete Delaney who
bought out Smitty.
He supplies a clutch disc that is sized for a BJ8 diaphram clutch which
is smaller than my BT7 clutch.  So much smaller that I will have 69% of
the original clutch's friction surface on each side of the disc.  I have
discussed it with him and he says that no one has had a problem with
that and he recommends using a BJ8 pressure plate and flywheel.  I am
not willing to cast aside a flywheel that I spent money to have
resurfaced and lightened and a pressure plate installed less than 1,000
miles ago.  Already I won't be using the current clutch disc and
throwout bearing with that same mileage (besides all of the cost of the
Toyota transmission, 5 speed kit, etc.).
Some of you have mentioned previously about getting a custom disc made,
which seems to be a good approach to me.
Does anyone have a name and contact info for people who do this sort of
thing on a one off basis and don't charge an arm and a leg?
Thanks.
Charlie Baldwin
'62 BT7
York, PA

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
mgcharlie.vcf]