Re: [Healeys] Keeping a leaf spring attached to the car.

To: "Michael Gladwin" <michaelgladwin@mac.com>, "Healey List"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Keeping a leaf spring attached to the car.
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 12:15:29 -0500
Michael,

1. First of all the structural item in question is referred to as a rear
outrigger. It is not a crossmember. The rear of the leaf spring attaches to
a crossmember.  Anyway, your rear right outrigger with what looks like a
relief for an exhaust system is indeed original.
2. This is not particularly a classic rust spot. I would suggest it may have
received some sort of impact at that point, resulting in some sort of poor
home repair. Once disturbed and opened up, especially with poor lumpy
welding  it would soon become a rust prone spot.
3. Depending on the degree of damage and / or rust it may be able to be
repaired in situ but either way the rear spring will have to come off, the
surrounding interior components will have to be removed to prevent fire, and
some careful measurements will have to be maintained. Also note the close
proximity of the fuel pump and lines which would be on the right side by the
time your Mk 2 was built.

Rich Chrysler