[Healeys] clutch staying 'on' followup

To: Healeys Newsgroup <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] clutch staying 'on' followup
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 21:50:20 -0800
I had had a situation where my clutch was staying 'on' when the pedal was
pressed. I believed my master cylinder was staying slightly depressed and
wasn't allowing the slave cylinder to push fluid upstream to the Reservoir
on taking my foot off the clutch. This was similar to the situation where
posters here said the flex line collapses internally and acts like a one-way
valve.

Today I removed the rubber cup washer between the mushroom end of the
pushrod and the cup end of the piston. This washer is shown  on P 48 of the
current Moss catalog as #79--the right middle one.

It was depressing the pistons enough to block the return port. Clutch works
fine now. FYI.

Am suspicious here that the rebuild kit is not made quite properly and the
rubber washer is too thick--not just sealing around the edge of the mushroom
end like it should.

A local collector sold a BN1 last year because the brakes kept locking after
a lot of troubleshooting--this sounds like possibly the same issue.
--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA