Re: [Healeys] Engine Start-up

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Engine Start-up
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 16:40:29 EDT
In a message dated 3/23/08 11:32:43 AM, pollpete@ix.netcom.com writes:

> Gary,
>
> Regarding retorqueing the head:
> 1.   Did you use anti-seize on the nuts upon the initial mounting?
> 2.   Do you back off the nuts some before the retorque?  If so, how much?
> 3.   Do you do the retorque on a cold engine, or run it up hot first?
> 4.   Do you do another retorque at 1000 miles?
>

> I do not use anti-seize on the head studs, having been told that it alters
> the torque readings.

I do back off the nuts a bit when retorquing the head (just enough to slacken
them).

The retorquing was done on the engine while cold.

I do another retorque at 1000 miles (actually in my case, after one weekend
of racing), along with the second oil change, and checking the timing.

YMMV
Cheers
gary

Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL
Home.

(http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?ncid=aolhom00
030000000001)