Re: [Healeys] Restoration Estimation Calculator

To: Jody Kerr <jodyfkerr@gmail.com>, Healey list
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Restoration Estimation Calculator
From: Steve Thomton <scthomton@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:39:11 -0700 (PDT)
My personal approach, which seems to come pretty close when doing most of the
work myself (not interior, farm out some body work and mechanical work) is to
work up a complete list of what I think it will cost based on what the car
needs and the current catalogue prices......add 30% to that number ..... then
double the whole thing...... surprising how close that is :-)  ....

  Steve Thomton

Jody Kerr <jodyfkerr@gmail.com> wrote:
  --Resending to the healey list, email bounced cause it was too long--
Rich,

I wholeheartedly concur!

And the goal of this little calculator is really just to give a rough
order or magnitude estimate for the uninitiated. Why? Well, the
uninitiated are how I obtain 90% of the cars I restore. Someone had no
clue, and figured they could buy a wreck for $1000 dollars and restore
it into a highly valuable vehicle for another $1000 dollars and a
little sweat equity. Time passes, money gets spent, and I get given a
barn/storage unit/garage full of parts just so that the person can get
rid of them. I presently have a 4 car backlog to get through because
of these "donations to someone who can actually do it." I shudder to
think of the ones that get pitched without being passed on to a more
knowledgable restorer.

But, I also get emails on a weekly basis from folks asking me how much
it would take to restore some car. And, without seeing the person and
the car I can't make a honest assessment. But, interestingly enough, I
can look at a car, and give a *highly* accurate assessment of how much
it'd cost me to restore it (with the primary variable for me being
parts cost on a make/model I've not done before). I think it's a knack
we gain from years of doing this sort of stuff.

So, what I did was take some of that gut knowledge I have, put some
maths around it and then threw the costs for my last few restorations
at the model. It came out to be approximately +/-20% accurate, which
was the basic target I set for myself on the model. I figured I could
take that model and turn it into a widget out on my website to point
people to when they want to get a rough idea of how much things tend
to cost.

Cheers!
Jody

You are subscribed as scthomton@yahoo.com