Re: [Healeys] gas additives

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] gas additives
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 05:39:43 -0700
Hoo boy, this should start a thread (politics, anyone?).

MTUO (My Totally Unscientific Opinion):    Short answer: no.

There's something about "magical" additives that appeal to all of us
(ask any marketer, or just check the shelves at your favorite parts
house).  Additives (gas or oil) may have been useful at one time, but
now, gas and oil are both so standardized and generally good that there
is no need (the recent thread on ZDDP is the exception that proves the
rule, IMO).  FI cleaner was actually useful at one time, as earlier gas
formulations which worked fine for carburettors didn't have
enough/proper cleaners for FI when it first became common, but that
problem has been addressed.

Anecdotally, I've disassembled SU carbs and fuel pumps several times
over the last 25 years and have seen no evidence of any sort of gum or
varnish buildup.  I also keep a 2g can of gas for my lawnmower that
(maybe) gets filled once a year and the unlined, mild steel inside is
perfectly clean.  Also, my new Mustang's owner's manual states
unequivocally "do not put any crap in the gas or oil or your warranty's
history" (well, something like that).

BTW, I hope you run the FI cleaner BEFORE changing the oil; I believe
those are corrosive and some of it--or its byproducts--may end up in the
sump.

bs