Re: [Healeys] gas additives

To: rdavies1@cox.net, ah3000me@gmail.com, Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] gas additives
From: Warthodson@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 08:41:27 EDT
What are the compression rations of the two engines?
Gary Hodson

In a message dated 5/2/2008 8:03:57 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
rdavies1@cox.net writes:

I've  always put 91 in my 67 BJ8 and it runs fine.
I can tell you that putting  octane booster in my Aston Martin turned out to
be a very, very costly  mistake. The DB7 was designed for 92 octane and as
you say it isn't  available anymore. My choices were between adding 2 gallons
of 100 octane  to every tank of 91 at $8/gal or using the booster that the  PO
suggested.

Well, the additive fouled the ridiculously expensive  platinum plugs which
the computer tried to compensate for and fried two  sets of even more
expensive coil packs (a separate coil for each plug) and  some other rare
electronic gizmo I have successfully cleared from my  memory. Something like
a crank shaft sensor but in British  terminology.

The AM dealership said "Duh" NEVER use octane additives,  injector cleaners
or similar stuff. Now I add the racing fuel every other  tank and everything
is fine. The car just screams. I'm not about to use it  in my 67 BJ8 after
that experience.
Ron
SoCal
67 BJ8
97  DB7

---------------------------------
I started using fuel  injector/carb cleaner back in the 90's.  A local Honda
dealer in MD  recommended it to a friend after they replaced all the fuel
injectors in  his Prelude.

Anyway,  anyone else noticing the demise of 93 octane  gas?   Last summer the
local Shell station switched from 93 to 91  octane high test. Today on my way
home, I stopped at the Mobil station  which sold 93 octane gas, and they had
a 91 octane sticker pasted over the  93 octane pump.    I think Gulf is the
only one left in my area  still selling 93 octane.

-  Tom

You  are subscribed as  warthodson@aol.com

favorites at AOL Food.