[Healeys] New SU pump leaking 67 BJ8

To: <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] New SU pump leaking 67 BJ8
From: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 09:08:34 -0700
Well......
After bypassing the anti-theft cutoff switch and checking the current
through a voltmeter it said I was getting 12v to the pump but it still
wouldn't work.
So I decided to run a new line directly from the fuse box to the pump and
ground it. It worked! The hot wire in the wiring harness was shot. I don't
understand why the voltmeter said 12V! I permanently ran a new hot wire,
removed the rear seat and hooked everything back up. I stupidly replaced the
seat and tire, took it off the jacks and started the car. It ran fine.
Before it got to temperature I decided to look under the car. Gas leak on
the floor. Fire averted.

Another lesson learned the hard way.  Now I need to get back in and find out
why it was leaking.  The new pump uses rubber O rings, the old used washers.
Anyone had any problems like this? I tightened to "snug" which as we all
know is a "skosh" more than "just a bit" but less than "tight plus umph".
Suggestions? I have to get it running for a big British meet Saturday but
would like to avoid becoming an Olympic Torch on the way.
(Took the Aston last time so I have to take the Healey this time)
TIA
Ron
SoCal
67 BJ8