[Healeys] FW: Green Helmet

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] FW: Green Helmet
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 11:23:30 +1000
G'day

Just to assist a little further with a little Oz (Australian) history,
back in the days before cheap international air travel one of the most
popular ways to get to and from Europe and especially Brittan was to
travel overland.

Generally this meant to drive through Europe, then such countries as
Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan (this was in more peaceful times) to India
and then ship your car to Western Australia. Then on to whether you
wanted to go in Australia. Vice versa going the other way.

I have some friends who are very much into Albion vehicles who have done
the trip twice by double decker bus. It was very common and there was
(and still is) companies specifically set up to organise such trips.

There are also a number of Austin-Healeys in Australia that came
overland from the UK. Have a look at Chris Dimmock's website at:

http://www.myaustinhealey.com/london-to-sydney-healey.html

It tells the story of when his car was driven from the UK to Australia
in 1967.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

> Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 14:36:26 +1000
> From: Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au
> To: ynotink@msn.com; healeys@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Green Helmet
>
> G'day Bill
>
> Can't resist.
>
> The Green Helmet was written by popular Australian novelist Jon Cleary
> who was also very much a car enthusiast. He owned one of the first
> Jensen 541s and even drove it overland from the UK to Australia.
>
> Here ends your (Oz) lesson for today.
>
> Hoo Roo
>
> Patrick Quinn
> Sydney, Australia