Re: [Healeys] Norm, Seat Belts

To: Mark and Kathy <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>,
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Norm, Seat Belts
From: Richard Hosmer <rahosmer@citlink.net>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 07:05:31 -0700
on 5/18/08 6:01 AM, Mark and Kathy at mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net wrote:

> Could you explain what is meant by 3 point lap belts.   Is that 2 attached
> points for the clip side belt and  1 for the buckle side?

Several issues here, and people will have to make their own choices. I once
heard the steering column described as a "spear aimed at the driver's
heart". Very true. Perhaps you had thought of that, and figured you'd duck
out of the way - fine IF you have time, are strong enough and quick enough,
AND your passenger doesn't duck towards you at the same moment!

I believe the third point is the shoulder belt attachment. Lap belts alone,
in the Healey (or any similar-sized cockpit) will NOT prevent facial damage
in a severe front-end crash, since your upper body will jack-knife forward
uncontrollably. They will perhaps save your life by preventing you from
being thrown clear of the car.

A shoulder belt COULD expose you to potentially serious injury in the event
of a roll-over, since your head would be held in a place you might not want
it to be - also see spear comment above, in event of a head-on.

In short - by today's standards - our LBCs are NOT very safe vehicles at
all, period. All the more reason to be VERY VERY careful, and to drive
accordingly. As to seat belts - take your choice - there are plusses and
minuses both ways.

I use competition (aircraft surplus) lap belts, and have a roll-bar. My
tricarb has the factory shoulder-belt mounting point, but I've never fitted
one - mainly because I never found one which would mate with the lap belt -
stupid of me, but, FWIW, I don't drive the car very often now.

Dick Hosmer