Re: [Healeys] Door handle escutcheon

To: "Daniel and Diane White" <dwhite4949@wowway.com>, "Healey list"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Door handle escutcheon
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 08:41:53 -0400
Dan,

It is imperative that the door panel is no thicker than the original one,
and that the relief opening in the door panel is of the right size and in
the right concentric position in relation to the square escutcheon stem.
This will allow the spring loaded telescoping escutcheon to be able to be
pressed into the relief far enough to clear the pin hole. There are special
door handle fork style tools that are made to do this job, but for years
I've been using an old two prong curved barbecue fork to do the job. I slip
a tang each side of the shaft, under the handle and on top of the inner
escutcheon and apply pressure to the escutcheon. This allows adequate
presure on the escutcheon to push it far enough into the recess and start
the pin into the hole in the handle and then into the shaft. Once started, a
small nail set can be used to gently tap the pin home.

Rich Chrysler