Re: [Healeys] Computer Question

To: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Computer Question
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 18:10:15 -0700
Sounds like you're getting Comcast cable, no?

FWIW, the free MacAfee s/w Comcast has provided has been fine for my 4+
computers.  Remember, with other brands you'll pay $30 per year per
computer for updates (a/v s/w is useless if it's not continually
updated--that would be over $120/year for me).  I had one glitch with
MacAfee years ago, but since then it has not given me any problems--nor
have I had any infestations--but it does slow down the box once or twice
a week for update downloads and scans.  I don't use a firewall--I
believe Comcast blocks most ports from common attacks.

Go ahead and get a wireless router (Cisco/Linksys WRT54G is a de facto
"standard"--about $50), then you can put computers wherever you want in
your house (with WiFi cards if not installed already), and allow guests
to piggyback on your connection.  Of course, you'll want to use WPA
security, but that's a different thread ;)

bs