[Healeys] 2 28% OD questions

To: List Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] 2 28% OD questions
From: Bert Van Brande <bertvanbrande@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 13:57:48 -0700 (PDT)
The 28% Overdrive of the BN2 gearbox I sourced, has suffered the 'Shattered
Unidirectional Clutch syndrome'.   As a result the steel ring in the annulus
has 3 hairline cracks where it is held in place by 3 'rivets'.  It seems to me
that the rivets were creating a weak spot and were maybe ommitted later for
this reason.  I sourced a replacement steel ring, without the grooves for the
rivets.  I believe this later ring is a press fit, probably facilitated by
cooling the ring and heating the annulus. Is this correct?

The 3 28% planetary gears show some black discoloration and small pitting,
nothing major but just feel-able with fingernail.  (The ring gear of the
annulus doesn't seem to have this issue)  Do I replace these or should I not
bother too much with this?  I can put pix online if this could help assessment.
 If you have a spare/used set lying around let me know.  Thanks for your help.

Bert
56 BN2

PS: I got the Peter Kumar letter as well but holding on to my project.