Re: [Healeys] Not Healey, Magic Jack phone service

To: "Richard Gordon" <HealeyHundred@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Not Healey, Magic Jack phone service
From: "Alan Seigrist" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 14:14:07 +0800
Richard -

As I said before: Skype!

Skype is the world free VOip standard, developed in Estonia now owned
by Ebay.  I can promise you that for what you spend for Magic Jack,
you can probably pay for land line calls all year in the US, and very
cheap rates overseas.  You can also call any skype user for free.
Best part is it has Video, so we use it all the time with the
Grandparents.  Voice quality is as good if not better than a land
line.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/useskype/

the other problem I have with MagicJack is it uses a proprietary jack
to plug your phone into your computer.  Bad idea.  Skype just uses
your computers' camera and mic (if it has it - macs are great in this
respect) or you can just buy a no name USB handset from your local
Fry's or computer store, they are all configured to work with skype.

Alan