Re: [Healeys] 100 Dash Color

To: "Marvin James" <britcrs@gmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 Dash Color
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 09:45:09 -0400
Hello Marv,

This is a subject that has been studied a lot. It appears that originally
they did a spray of a rather dull fine silver over the area and then set
some sort of a mask over the raised instrument pod area. It must have been a
flat thing that allowed the main colour , black in your case, to somewhat
overspray the "line". Consistant evidence of this lies in the fact that on
any one piece dash board from a Hundred, you can easily see how the spray
gun was angled. One dash will have a more defined break line along the top
edge while fading out further along the bottom edge. The next dash will be
opposite, having been sprayed from a different angle.

Trying to achieve this look is very difficult and time consuming. We have
opted to compromise by doing a proper taping of the transition paint edge,
applying the second colour, removing the tape, compounding the paint line,
then clear coating everything so no physical edge exists.

Anyway, your original question was what specific colour or formula may have
been used. because it was originally nitrocellulose laquer, totally
unavailable today, one can only eyeball a possible colour candidate in
today's modern available paints and go from there. The silver was very
smooth, virtually no metallic content visible and rather dull. Of course for
durability and practicality, a lot of folks opt to apply a clear coat over
everything, smoothing the transition and sealing everything with a
reasonably durable surface to do battle with rings, keys, and finger nails
and just plain dirt which would become imbedded into an otherwise dull
finish. The down side here is that everything ends up with a gloss finish.

Rich Chrysler