[Healeys] AH 100 first driving impressions - Boy this is fun!...

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] AH 100 first driving impressions - Boy this is fun!...
From: Tadeusz Malkiewicz <tadeusz.malkiewicz@plusnet.pl>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 20:24:35 +0200
Well, well, I have covered about 40 miles in my BN2 today, came back home
safely without any incident!..

I have totally rebuild:
- front suspension
- rear suspension
- brakes
- steering

The brakes still would need a bit of adjustment, the toe-in is not set
proper, but I could not resist..

I have to say I am really impressed by the way a 52 year old car goes - the
acceleration is superb, handling is fine, I enjoyed it madly!!....

I have a few questions though:

1. What sort of play should I have on the steering wheel? It's the late type
BN2 steering box.

2. The steering wheel does not 'turn back' after a corner (like most modern
cars). Should it? (I have rebuild the steering box with a new bush.)

3. When shifting from 2nd to 3rd there seems to be no synchronization - are
the parts available?

4. What gears do you use when driving through the city? I found 2nd and 4th
most useful - it seems as though it could be a 2 speed gearbox... :-)

5. What should be the oil pressure while idling & while driving?

6. What should be the water temperature? How high should it go up when you
stop the car?

7. Should I use 98 or 95 octane petrol? (these are European standards)

8. What should be my fuel consumption?

9. I am almost 190cm, so.. when driving, the chrome top edge of the window
is on my eye level. Is there any remedy here? Anyone with similar problems
(& solutions)?...

10. When the seat is in the rearmost position the seat back (squab) seems to
be resting on the folded roof, not on the seat frame. Have I folded the roof
incorrectly or is this normal?

11. I might be forced to install orange indicators in the rear. (I hate the
thought) Nonetheless, does anyone have pictures of a neat solution to this
problem?..

12. The tow in should be set like in the book? (1/16-1/8")?

As usual, all help would be appreciated...

Many thanks!..

Tadek