[Healeys] Gearbox Rebuild- need a mainshaft (late BT7 or BJ7) and a

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Gearbox Rebuild- need a mainshaft (late BT7 or BJ7) and a
From: Ken Wignall <ourxke@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:22:03 -0400
We began the rebuilding of the gearbox and overdrive from my 62 BT7 yesterday
after having collected a variety of parts to commence the job. All this as a
result of the implode of the overdrive unidirectional clutch assembly, planet
gears assembly and sunwheel assembly seizing onto and trashing the mainshaft
splines.
 We have the box dissassembled across the workbench and upon re-assembly found
that the BT7 mainshaft that I purchased is from an earlier BT7 with a smaller
shaft diameter where the first motion shaft resides.
The mainshaft we need has to be from either a sideshift or centreshift unit
from (e)29D-H10544, BN7 or BT7, and all centre shift boxes right thru the BJ7
models.
We measured the diameter of the shaft end where the first motion shaft bearing
resides and it is .755 thousandths of an inch. The earlier shaft that I
purchased  measured .655  .
I also need a first motion shaft from a BN4 or BN6. I bought a gearbox with
overdrive that had been installed in a 54 Corvette back in the 50's. The
bellhousing was removed and the first motion shaft cut off to adapt it to the
Chevy block, but otherwise the rest of the box and the overdrive are good.
Just needs the first motion shaft to put it back right and have a complete
unit. Any help with these rebuild parts is greatly appreciated.
Ken Wignall