Re: [Healeys] Why Don't depress the clutch ?

To: "'HEALEY MAIL'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Why Don't depress the clutch ?
From: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:52:37 -0400
I have heard two reasons:

-  Depressing the clutch pushes forward against the crankshaft, putting an
extra load on the thrust washers at a time when there is no oil pressure to
lubricate them.

-  The graphite throwout bearing adds friction to the whole system and puts
slightly more load on the starter.

I would add one more reason of my own:

-  If you want to maximize the life of your throwout bearing you should
avoid having the clutch depressed when it is not necessary.

HTH,
Peter Schauss