Re: [Healeys] Clutch

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Clutch
From: RThrift <rthrift@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:32:53 -0400
Wow!  You just brought back a childhood memory I had totally forgotten for the
past almost 50 years.  My Dad had a TR3, and now that you point it out, I do
seem to remember him starting it by hand cranking occasionally.  I was so
little at the time I probably thought all cars started that way; more recently
I figured hand cranking went out WAY before my time.  Cool!

When it got totaled he bought the BT7 (which I now have). He preferred the TR3

Thanks!
Richard Thrift
p.s. on new manual trans cars, isn't there some means to override the interlock
that prevents starting unless the clutch is depressed? My 2002 automatic won't
go out of Park unless the brake pedal is depressed, but there IS a way to
override that if necessary.  (Most owners just won't RTFM  and so probably
won't know about it even though they see the covered button every time they get
in the car.)  But then the modern approach would be "Don't drive the car if the
clutch is out of commission, Fool! " so maybe the clutch pedal override is not
provided.

---- Fred Wescoe <fredwescoe@windstream.net> wrote:
My first car was a TR3 and I was told not to depress the clutch and to keep it
in neutral.  It would always crank faster that way.  Of course it was the only
way the hand crank worked and I did use that often when the battery was low.

Healeys have the starting dog but no ability to start with a hand crank.
I wonder how we are to get a new car, with a clutch, started and home when we
loose the clutch.  Any ideas?

Fred
63 BJ7