Re: [Healeys] Non Healey Power loss engine

To: "Douglas W Flagg" <dwflagg@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Non Healey Power loss engine
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 08:24:04 -0700
Mike,

This is pure conjecture on my part (never stopped me before ;), but it
sure sounds like there is "cause and effect" here (I assume you've
checked the "usual suspects," like loose ignition wires, fuel delivery,
etc.).

I believe the lead substitutes/additives use other metal compounds (like
manganese) to do what lead used to do--as a side effect to raising
antiknock quality--mainly coat exhaust valves to protect them from
gradually receding into the head.  If the compression of an engine is
low--likely in an engine from that era--there may not be enough
combustion heat to burn these compounds completely.  Check your spark
plugs for deposits.  The other possibility is that something has
gunked-up the rings, resulting in loss of compression.

Lead compounds (tetraethyl and tetramethyl) were added to gasoline in
the early 1920's--your car may or may not have been built to run with
leaded fuels.

The gasoline available in 1928 still had a pretty low octane rating;
your car should run fine on regular unleaded (anything up to a
compression rating of 8:1 or so), but you may eventually get exhaust
valve recession.  If/when you rebuild the engine you should be able to
get hardened exhaust valves and seats installed, but since I doubt
you'll be putting a huge number of miles on the car you should be able
to drive it for years before you have a problem with exhaust valve
recession.

bs