Re: [Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 2, Issue 553

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 2, Issue 553
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 15:06:19 EDT
In a message dated 8/31/08 1:56:57 AM, healeys-request@autox.team.net writes:

> Hi Gary-
>
> What I am referring to is the factory applied paint to areas such as the
> under sides of the shrouds, wings, dash, etc. where paint was applied as best
>as
> could be done in an upside down position. I wouldn't call it random, it's
> just a result of the difficulty of reaching certain areas with the spray of
> paint.
>
> I hope that answers the question that I raised.
>
> Tom

That makes sense; if you've got the chassis on a rotisserie, or are painting
panels off the car, there's no excuse to leave any part of the metal
unpainted. (We'll leave duplication of bad manufacturing techniques to the
Corvette
Club Concours). There was a factory undercoating called "flintkote" which was
troweled on to the car over the primer in a few vulnerable places (boot floor,
interior floors) and was then painted over -- a practice which may have started
with the 3000s -- but nothing more than that. I was wondering which you were
referring to, and hoping it wasn't one of those black gummy oversprays that
were usually applied by dealers making an extra buck.

Cheers
Gary

It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your
travel deal here.