[Healeys] Battery Cable.

To: "'Healeys Newsgroup'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Battery Cable.
From: "Alan Bromfield" <alan.bromfield@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:47:00 +0100
Team.
Some advice from your collective wisdom please. I am rewiring my BN4 project
and have reached the stage of running the main battery cables from the boot
to the solenoid and then to the starter motor. I am using a standard starter
motor and would like to minimise the volt drop throughout the length of the
cable. Rather than using the standard off-the-shelf battery cables I am
considering using welding cable.  It is more flexible and has higher current
carrying capacity.

Could someone advise the size of cable I should go for? Choices available
are 306/0.26strand (16sq.mm) rated at 110Amps, or 680/0.26strand (35sq.mm)
rated at 240 Amps. The simple answer would be the biggest is best, but the
size of the copper internal raises challenges sourcing connectors big enough
to fit.  Is the 16mm big enough and 35mm OTT or should I just go for the
biggest and deal with the connection challenges?

Thanks for your input.