Re: [Healeys] BJ7 Clutch Replacement Help

To: <ahy3000@comcast.net>, "Austin Healey" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ7 Clutch Replacement Help
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 22:01:03 -0400
I have always had excellent luck by suporting the engine as you have but
doing the following:
- Rig a lifting device (small chain falls in my case) with the chain running
right behind the windshield frame (protect with rags)with a rope sling
running around the aft portion of the gearbox/forward portion of the
overdrive unit. This seems to be about the right balancing point.
- With everything undone as you have, I lift gently on the chain falls a few
links and as soon as the weight of the transmission assembly is on the chain
falls, I can pull back the entire assembly, and literally swivel the
transmission using the heel of my hand on the rear prop shaft flange.
- The trans assembly can be turned 90 degrees and set across the floor, the
sling removed, and the trans can be lifted (two people) and removed from the
car.
- Replace the clutch assembly as needed.
- Bring the trans back into the car, resling as before, take the weight on
the chain falls, and turn the assembly to face forward again.
- Shift the trans into 4th gear, and with the weight of the trans still on
the sling, you can push the assembly forward enough to engage the splines of
the clutch, rotating the shaft by means of the rear prop shaft flange being
in direct drive (4th gear).
- When the input shaft splines enter the clutch splines, the trans will no
longer be able to spin. You'll have about another 1 1/2" to go to shove
everything home. Align bolt holes and finish reassembling everything.

Rich Chrysler