Re: [Healeys] Windshield Wiper Repair

To: "'Michael Salter'" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>,
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Windshield Wiper Repair
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:17:40 +0100
I had virtually the same trouble with my car....wipers kept the screen
dry(ish) but water poured through where the rubber seals had shrunk/withered
away to nothing.
1) I managed to grip the chrome bodies with a mole wrench and get something
onto the nuts and get them turning. I used a cloth so there was little or no
scratching on the chrome, which was a waste of time because....
2) the chrome bodies wouldn't come off the spindles for love nor money.So...
3) I bought a Dremel and the appropriate little cutter/grinder, made a
groove down the top, say, 7/8ths of the bodies, stuck a series of
progressively bigger screw drivers into the slot and cracked them open and
thus removed them.
4) Replacement is not, as they say, the reverse of the above procedure.

One thing did strike me at the time........the spindles might have been
caught on the inside of the chrome bodies. Having someone in the car pushing
the mechanism upwards while someone else moved the body around might just
have released them. Hard to recall exactly what might have been catching on
what but I do recall that the chrome bodies were pretty hollow and that they
weren't touching the spindles' casings all the way down. (which would have
allowed 30 -40 yrs worth of crud to go solid for the friction/binding
effect).
The latter push/wiggle manoeuvre risks damaging the mechanism which isn't
that robust. But the Dremel risks the paintwork.
The chrome bodies cost nothing much. I replaced the spindles which are
supplied with new nuts, the chrome bodies and got some decent seals. The
ones that had sat on my work bench for a year or two were useless and I got
some better ones. Afraid that I can't recall which of the "usual suspects"
supplied which seal and I'd be perfectly happy to say without a silly
asterisk in sight.
Simon