Re: [Healeys] Signal Light/Horn Switch BJ8--problem

To: tomfelts@windstream.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Signal Light/Horn Switch BJ8--problem
From: Bob Haskell <rchaskell@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:44:08 -0400
Tom,

Sounds like the stator tube is loose.  Have someone rotate the whole
mechanism while you look at the tube sticking out the front of the steering
box.  If the tube rotates, then you've found the problem.  There should be
a brass nut that the tube goes through. Underneath/behind the nut is an
olive (compression fitting).  Tightening the nut should squeeze the olive
locking the tube in place.

If the tube doesn't rotate, then I'm going to guess that the car has an
adjustable steering wheel.  With the adjustable steering wheel, there are
two stator tubes.  The long stator tube is clamped to the front of the
steering box as described above.  The other end of the tube has a slot.
The second stator tube is attached to the mechanism (trafficator), fits
over the long tube and has a couple of ears that ride in the slot of the
long tube.  The slot/ears allow the length of the stator tube assembly to
change but not spin.  The corners at the end of the slot are pretty sharp
and after 40 plus years, the long stator tube develops cracks.  After
enough time the cracks get long enough that the tube fails or develops
enough slop that the short stator tube is free to spin.

Bob